Dr. Mahendra Narwaria Bariatric, GI and Robotic Surgeon
Dr. Mahendra Narwaria is a pioneer in laparoscopic bariatric surgery in India with over 20 years of experience and 10000 plus surgeries performed. His practice is recognised as a bariatric surgery Centre of Excellence and his patients have access to all bariatric surgical procedures under his supervision. Dr. Narwaria is further advancing newer procedures after revision of RYGB.
Dr. Narwaria holds the Limca Book of Records for operating on the youngest child (3 years old) in 2015 as well as performing the most number of operations (20) in a single day. He has been awarded the “Gujarat Gaurav“ award and was named the Times Group’s health icon in 2019.
Dr. Narwaria is the current President of AIAARO and past President of OSSI. He has been affliated with IFSO-APC, IASG, IAGES and has been on faculty in various National and International prestigious universities.
Dr. Narwaria has around 50 research publications and book chapters in both national and international journals.
Click here for more information
- Postgraduate in General Surgery – B J Medical College, Ahmedabad, (1996)
- Surgical Gastroenterology and Laparoscopic Surgery – Sanjay Gandhi Post-graduate Institute (SGPGI), Lucknow
Limca Book of Record-2015 for
- Operating maximum number i.e., 20 patients in a single day
- Operating the youngest patient of Four Years & Ten Months
- First Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy in India-2004.
- First Scar less Sleeve Gastrectomy in India-2009.
- First Hybrid NOTES (Trans Vaginal) Sleeve Gastrectomy in Asia Pacific region
- Highest weight pt. had Gastric bypass surgery performed (Weight-248 kg,214 kg)-1st time in India
- Pioneer in New procedure after revision of RYGB
- Metabolic Surgery for Hypercholesterolemia in lean patients.
- Shrey Hospital, Ahmedabad (1999-2006)
- Sterling Hospital, Ahmedabad (2001-2013)
- Narayan Hrudalaya, Bangalore (2005-2006)
- Apollo Hospital, Ahmedabad (2006-2013)
- Artemis Hospital, Delhi (2009-2010)
- Sir Ganga ram hospital (From January 2022)
- Breach Candy Hospital, Mumbai (2017-Present)
- Global 30-day outcomes after bariatric surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic (GENEVA): an international cohort study. Rishi Singhal , Abd A Tahrani , Christian Ludwig , Kamal Mahawar ,Mahendra Narwaria, GENEVA collaborators. The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology DOI:10.1016/S2213-8587(20)30375-2;2021
- OSSI (Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society of India) Guidelines for Patient and Procedure Selection for Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery. A G Bhasker , A Prasad , P Praveen Raj , M Narwaria , S Shah , R Khullar. Obesity Surgery (2020) DOI: 30:2362–2368.
- Trends and progress of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery in India Aparna Govil Bhasker, Arun Prasad, P. Praveen Raj, Randeep Wadhawan, Manish Khaitan, Abhay Jugal Agrawal, Om Tantia, Sarfaraz J. Baig, Raj Palaniappan, H. V. Shivaram, Sumeet Shah, Mahendra Narwaria. Updates in Surgery 72(9945); April 2020
- Sump syndrome following choledochoduodenostomy. Dhaivat Vaishnav, Mahendra Narwaria.Formosan Journal of Surgery 53(5):195;January 2020
- Circulatory Omentin-1 levels but not genetic variants influence the pathophysiology of Type 2 diabetes. Nirali Rathwa , Roma Patel , Sayantani Pramanik Palit , Shahnawaz D Jadeja , Mahendra Narwaria, A V Ramachandran , Rasheedunnisa Begum.Cytokine 119DOI:10.1016/j.cyto.2019.03.011Project: Genetic association studies in Type II Diabetes; 2019.
- Standardisation of Bariatric Metabolic Procedures: World Consensus Meeting Statement. Mohit Bhandari ,Mahendra Narwaria & M. A. L. Fobi & Jane N. Buchwald .Obesity Surgery 29(4):309–345, 2019.
- CAN CHILDREN WITH GENETIC SYNDROME BE OFFERED BARIATRIC SURGERY? Mahendra Narwaria, MS, GI.Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 14(11): S95; November 2018
- Is Bariatric Surgery to be offered in Adolescence? Mahendra Narwaria, Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 14(11): S191 ;2018
- Laparoscopic excision of retro pancreatic retro portal schwannoma.Dhaivat Vaishnav, Riddhi Solanki, Mahendra Narwaria;2017.
- Chapter 118, Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery Mahendra Narwaria, Ahmad Jan.Textbook of Surgical Gastroenterology (2 Volumes) (pp.1311-1311) DOI:10.5005/jp/books/12748_119;2016
- Réponse à l’article récent de Blot C. et al. Conservative surgical management of persistent leak after sleeve gastrectomy by Roux-en-Y gastro-jejunostomy to the fistulous orifice Ramon Vilallonga, Mahendra Narwaria.Journal of Visceral Surgery 152(5). 2015
- Randomised Double-Blinded Trial of Laparoscopic Gastric Imbrication V Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy at Single Indian InstitutionSunil Sharma, Mahendra Narwaria, Daniel R. Cottam & Samuel CottamObesity Surgery (2015)25:800-8004, DOI 10.1007/s11695-014-1497-2;2015
- A Systematic Review of Bariatric Surgery in Patients with Liver Cirrhosis. Ahmad Jan, Mahendra Narwaria , Kamal K Mahawar, Obesity Surgery 25(8),May 2015.
- Insulinoma: Case Report and Review of Diagnostic and Treatment Modalities:Sudhendu Patel, Mahendra Narwaria, Deepal Parekh, Vidhi Shah; JAPI(2012)Volume 61 ISSN 0004-5772
- IFSO-APC consensus statements 2011.Kazunori Kasama, Wilfred Mui, Mahendra Narwaria and Pradeep Chowbey,Obesity Surgery 22(5):677 (2012) PMID 22367008.
- Tuberculosis after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity. Lakshman S Khiria and Mahendra Narwaria,Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 7(3):323 (2011) PMID 20727834
- Gastric imbrication for morbid obesity: Early result of new technique.Mahendra Narwaria and Avinash K Tank Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 6(3):S47 (2010)
- Autosomal recessive hypercholesterolemia and bilio-pancreatic diversion: A case report.Mahendra Narwaria and Lakshman S Khiria Obesity Research & Clinical Practice 4(2):e157 (2010)
- A prospective randomised, controlled study comparing low pressure versus high pressure pneumoperitoneum during laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Vismit Pradyumna VP Joshipura, Narwaria M, Sanjiv P SP Haribhakti, and Rashmi Thakkar Surgical Laparoscopy, Endoscopy & Percutaneous… 19(3):234 (2009) PMID 19542853
- Cefoperazone-sulbactam for treatment of intra-abdominal infections: results from a randomised, parallel group study in India.Abhijit Chandra, Puneet Dhar, and Manjula Schou, Mahendra Narwaria, Surgical Infections 9(3):367 (2008) PMID 18570578
- Prospective Randomised Trial of Cefoperazone-Sulbactam Versus Ceftazidime Plus Amikacin and Metronidazole in the Treatment of Intra-Abdominal Infections: 1013 Subodh Varshney,A. Chandra,Puneet Dhar,Satish Dharap,M Narwaria.The American Journal of Gastroenterology 101:S399;2006
- Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery.M Narwaria,M.Manisegaran .Book Chapter.